In this weekly roundup, Togo RV shares the top stories and features that are impacting and shaping the RV community. We cover everything from news and travel updates to gear and gadgets, and all the good stuff in between.
Everything You Need to Know About Yosemite’s Reservation System
Yosemite joins a list of national parks requiring reservations to enter during the 2022 peak travel season, stretching from May 20 through September 30. Hoping to “flatten” attendance throughout the day due to park overcrowding, Yosemite will require entrance permits between the hours of 6 a.m. and 4 p.m. If you’re planning to visit this summer, mark your calendar for March 23 at 8 a.m. Pacific Time to snag your reservations—70 percent will be offered on this date, with the remaining 30 percent opening up 7 days before the arrival date.Read more from Yosemite Mariposa County
Don’t Wear Red When You Go Camping
You might think mosquitoes are attracted to you because of your scent, but did you know the colors you’re wearing may also be a target? Researchers from the University of Washington discovered that mosquitoes are more attracted to colors with longer wavelengths, including red, orange, and black. Colors with shorter wavelengths, like blue, green, purple, and white, were more likely to be ignored. In the non-ending fight against this flying menace, it may be worth paying attention to your campground wardrobe.Read more from Adventure Journal
A True Electric UTV Contender
Electric Utility Task Vehicles (UTVs) have struggled to find a market beside gas-powered counterparts due to issues with range and performance, but the Polaris Ranger XP Kinetic aims to change that. The Premium model can go 45 miles on a single charge, while the Ultimate series extends the range to 80 miles thanks to its 29.8-kilowatt hour battery. Also impressive is the 140 pound-feet of torque, which beats gas-powered models. No special EV charging stations are required, other than a 120- or 240-volt wall outlet. Expect to pay between $25,000 to $30,000 for this innovative UTV.Read more from RV Magazine
KOA Debuts New Multi-Reservation Booking Option
KOA debuted a new feature for its online booking system, which allows campers to make multiple reservations at once. KOA’s website previously allowed one reservation at a time for a single location. Now, you can book multiple legs of a trip or group campsites all at once. This change comes as 51 percent of campers reported making advanced campground reservations more than the previous year.Read more from RV Pro
Which National Parks Were the Most Visited in 2021?
The National Park Service saw more than 297 million visitors in 2021, up 60 million from the year before. Where were all of these visitors heading? Great Smoky Mountains was the top national park, with more than 14 million visitors, but it was bested by the Blue Ridge Parkway, which saw nearly 15 million travelers in the Virginia and North Carolina mountains. California’s Golden Gate National Recreation Area was the third most popular destination, followed by Gateway National Recreation Area in New York and New Jersey.Read more from USA Today
Winter Camping Is More Popular Than Ever
More people are realizing that there’s no reason to pack your RV or tent away for the winter. A recent survey from The Dyrt found a 40.7 percent increase in winter camping compared to 2019. While campground reservations have surged in the summer months, the winter season is seeing rapid growth of campers despite the colder temps. The same holds true for the spring season, which saw a 27 percent increase. This trend comes as welcomed news for campground owners wanting to extend their booking season.Read more from Woodall’s Campground Magazine
Beloved Florida State Park Campground Reopens
After closing for 3 years due to damage from Hurricane Michael, St. Andrews State Park reopened near Panama City, Florida. Situated between the Gulf of Mexico and St. Andrews Bay, this park is known for its distinct ecological landscapes and recreational opportunities. Though the Category 5 hurricane took down trees and flooded the campground, the Florida State Park system invested in significant renovations, providing campsites with full hookups and well-constructed pads. Reservations are booking quickly at this popular park, with only the West Loop open at this time. Construction continues at the other campground locations.Read more from Florida State Parks