Worrying about your RV isn’t part of the plan. We all need a little roadside help now and then, and RV service is inherently more complicated than your average flat tire. That’s why choosing the best roadside assistance plan is so important for RVers. Knowing that you’re covered—from towing to lockouts, batteries, fluids, tire service, and more—means you can pack up and go with peace of mind.
What should you look for in your roadside assistance plan?
- Monthly subscriptions: When you order at a restaurant, do you pay for 12 months of meals you’ll never eat? Nope, you pay for what you want. The same should go for roadside assistance. With a monthly subscription plan, you save that money for camping next spring.
- 24-7 access and coverage: You can’t plan when and where you encounter trouble with your RV. Batteries can be fickle. Owners can be forgetful with keys. The morning sun rises as your tire sets. And just like that, your fun-filled adventure is now stress-filled instead. That’s why a roadside assistance plan with 24-7 access to agents is essential.
- Coverage throughout the U.S.: You want your roadside assistance plan to be there with you no matter where you travel. Nationwide coverage is a must, even if you spend most of your time in your region.
- Check your bundle: Some roadside assistance companies bundle your RV and auto together into a single option. For some RVers that’s okay. For others, who already have a pre-existing coverage plan for their autos, they want an RV-only option. You shouldn’t have to pay more to double your coverage on your auto when you don’t need it.
- Flexibility: Everyone has different budgets and coverage needs. You shouldn’t be shoehorned into one single plan because the roadside assistance company doesn’t provide different options. Look for a company that offers tiered plans starting at a basic service level with options to upgrade to premium plans with more comprehensive services.
Your basic plan should include a few or all of these:
- Tire service
- Battery service
- Fluid delivery
- 24-7 RV technical assistance
- Access to travel discounts and other exclusive offers
Upgraded plans should offer the services above as well as these:
- RV repair appointment setting
- Mobile mechanic dispatch service
- Emergency travel reimbursement, ideally for $1,000 or more
- Tire replacement
- Key replacement